Friday, May 7, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for May 7, 2010

Another gorgeous looking Organic Harvest Box is here!

I managed to survive my first full week of the South Beach Diet. Although I was not entirely "unhealthy" to begin with, the biggest change in my diet is the cutting out of sugar and carbs and the increase of protein and vegetables. So far so good, I am feeling much more energetic than I expected, and have fewer cravings too. So stick with me while I focus on a fabulous blog this week, Kalyn's Kitchen, (I have linked to a number of her recipes in the past) and post mostly recipes I found on her fantastic site.

Mmmmmmm . . . mangoes! Get ready for the fresh taste of spring with a Mango Salad with Black Beans, Avocado & Mint, or try this Mango Salsa with Red Bell Pepper. Mango salsas are so easy to make, and are a delicious addition to so many types of food (fish, chicken, beef, even your nacho chips). Check out Kalyn's Roasted Tilapia with Black Bean, Mango, Lime & Cilantro Salsa - my mouth is watering just looking at that photo and I can assure you I'll be adding this to my menu this upcoming week.

One small issue with the South Beach diet for me has been the lack of variety in my snacks. But hold on - I think my bland days are over. Look at these Roasted Kale Chips with Sea Salt and Vinegar and tell me you wouldn't want a plate of those at your side to munch on? I hope to make a batch over the weekend and will post pictures and results for you when I'm finished! Another good choice for your kale this week is this Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Onion - fast and simple and a super side dish choice if you're doing some barbecuing over the weekend. And for those South Beach breakfasts try these Kale and Red Onion Savoury Breakfast Squares - definitely sounding better than some of the bland omelets I made this week.

Having guests over for dinner is intimidating me a little bit. I'm having friends over for dinner tomorrow night and don't want to sabotage the two-week "Phase One" by breaking this diet. But, really, who wouldn't be thrilled to be served Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Ham as an appetizer before some delicious salads and a hearty steak? Maybe with a little Pan-Fried Asparagus Tips with Lemon on the side? And click and look at this Asparagus and Tomato Frittata with Harvati and Dill - fabulous and can feed your whole family!

Although sweet potatoes (yams) are not permitted in Phase One of South Beach, my kids love 'em so I'll have to give in and whip some up for them. I'm loving Kalyn's Spicy Sweet Potato Fries and will see if they are as popular as my Savoury Sweet Potato Sticks or the Grilled Sweet Potatoes. Not grilling weather where you are yet?? If you're feeling like some comfort from your crockpot, check out these Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes.

Enjoy your produce, and I hope all the Mothers out there enjoy a special Mother's Day on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment