Saturday, May 29, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for May 28, 2010

Due to some technical difficulties with my home computer, I am unable to upload this week's photo of the Harvest Box.

***As the weather gets warmer and your Harvest Box arrives on hot days, be sure to leave a cooler at your front door so Life Organic can leave your Harvest Box items inside it to keep them cool and fresh. ***

One of my favourite recipes from last week was the delightful Fruity Spinach Salad. I made it and this was a tasty, fresh salad that I served along grilled chicken - I thought the taste was refreshing and light, and I'll definitely be making it again soon!

I've been in the market for some new and interesting ways to use our broccoli. I've mentioned before that our kids all love broccoli and will eat it many ways, but I'm trying to branch out a bit form our regular broccoli fare. I scoped out this Steamed Broccoli with Almonds, Lemon Zest and Red Pepper Flakes and think it will be lovely as a side dish to one of our meals this week. I also like this Couscous Salad with Broccoli and Raisins as a delicious and healthy lunch choice. And although my kids are typical mac and cheese lovers, I'm not sure how they'd react to Broccoli and Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese but if I am brave enough I will give it a shot! And I certainly don't think you could go wrong with these Broccoli and Cheese Smashed Potatoes - a perfect addition to any meal.

Why not try this weeks greens in a Mixed Greens Salad with Yellow Pepper Vinaigrette? Or for some Asian flare, try a Crispy Noodles Salad with Sweet and Sour Dressing.

Feeling lost with your big bag of yams? Try this Yam and Zucchini Green Powerhouse - a nutrient-packed recipe that will have you coming back for seconds. Or fire up your barbecue and try these Smokey Chicken Skewers with Bacon-Wrapped Sweet Potato Kabobs - I hope I get a chance to make these for my husband, as I'm pretty sure I can sell him on the "bacon-wrapped" alone! I like the sound of these Crispy Yam Fries as we are all fans of sweet potato and yam fries, and this one has an Indian flavour! And if you like the above kabob recipe but would like something slightly healthier, try these fantastic Yam Kabobs for a warm evening treat.

Has chard got you stumped? Serve up a plate of this Chickpeas and Chard and you'll be stumped no more! An easy favourite in my home is basic Sauteed Chard - I find it quick, easy, and tasty and I can serve it as a side to almost any meal I'm making. Never though of using your chard in a salad? Well you should!! Try a Chard Salad with Rasberry Dressing or this Colourful Chard and Bean Salad and you may be surprised by how much you like it.







No comments:

Post a Comment