Friday, May 14, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for May 14, 2010

Here is this week's Harvest Box, full of fresh spring goodies!

There are weeks when I never get around to doing anything special with my tomatoes. I love slicing them and adding them to basically any type of sandwich, or tossing them on top of a salad. And there's nothing tastier than a plate of sliced tomatoes drizzled with Basil Vinaigrette (for Drizzling Over Tomatoes). This vinaigrette is so flavourful, it will knock your socks off!

If you enjoy roasted tomatoes, try this recipe for Whole Roasted Tomatoes, it is fantastic and easy to do. I'm also a lover of this Zucchini Salad with Tomato and Basil and have this Tomato and Shrimp Pasta with Feta as well as this Kale, Mushroom, and Tomato Saute on my radar for upcoming meals. And nothing says spring to me like fresh Spicy Tomato Salsa - I like to bring a bowl to the dinners and barbecues I attend all summer long . . . usually makes me the hit of the party!

Remember that anytime you come across a recipe that requires canned tomatoes, it is always easy to substitute fresh ones. And don't throw those tomatoes in the crisper in your fridge, leave them on the counter - they ripen better and will taste far superior.

Fresh local asparagus is another springtime favourite at our home. Asparagus is a veggie you can easily incorporate into a main meal, like this Risotto with Asparagus. It's divine in salads like this Asparagus, Cherry Tomato, Olive and Feta Salad and this Asparagus and Crab Salad. You can also make Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup, or throw those stalks right on your barbecue and serve Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan alongside your main dish.

If you're willing to try something different with your chard this week, why not get some use out of those gorgeous stems and make these Baked Swiss Chard Stems? Or toss that chard into Swiss Chard Tuna Salad, and layer it on some crusty bread. I think my favourite find of the week has to be these Swiss Chard and Mushroom Squares, so if I get a chance to make them I will be sure to post some pictures! I also like the sound of this Swiss Chard-Stuffed Flank Steak and think Swiss Chard with Shallots would be a welcome addition to any spring-time meal.

Until next week, enjoy your harvest box!

No comments:

Post a Comment