Saturday, January 30, 2010

Harvest Box for January 29, 2010

Look at this week's luscious harvest box!! This is really winter in Ottawa these days (my toes are blue to prove it), so be sure to try and bring your harvest box inside as soon as it arrives so your produce doesn't freeze. Doesn't take long when it's -30 outside!


We are big avocado lovers so I always find myself smiling when I see the bumpy-round surface of an avocado inside my harvest box. A family favourite is to slice up an avocado and add to some fresh crusty bread with a couple slices of tomato and cheese. Smear on a little may and freshly ground pepper, and you've got yourself a perfect little sandwich!

I also really like the looks of this Crunchy Avocado Salad and hope to try it out one day this week. For the sushi lovers (of which I am one, although I have not yet forayed into the world of sushi-making), I suggest using both your avocado and mango together in this delicious sounding
Crab, Avocado and Mango Roll. And although my tried and true avocado sandwich has gotten us through the years, it may truly have met its match in this week's Fried Egg and Avocado Sandwich. Doesn't that sound divine? Please let me know if you give it a try - I am dying to know if it tastes as good as it looks!

I offered a few simple ways to incorporate mango into a main meal last week, and I stumbled upon a couple other great recipes I wanted to share. I've learned that beef and mango are a great combo (proved to me with last week's Beef and Mango Wraps) and so I am hoping to give this Stir-Fried Beef with Mango a whirl in my kitchen this week. And for anyone interested in a non-beef option, why not try this Broiled Salmon with Avocado Mango Salsa. Sounds fabulous.

While I enjoy eggplant, my husband and three children are a bit more finicky when it comes to the deep purple vegetable. They don't like the texture, and they don't like the bitter taste. They have not favoured eggplant parmigiana when I made it in the past. So I found this Grilled Eggplant and Goat Cheese Salad and wonder if grilling the eggplant will make the texture softer and easier for them to tolerate. (Plus, they love goat cheese!) Other choices if you're stumped for how to use your eggplant include this Eggplant Gratin and Lemon Rice and Eggplant-Chick Pea Curry. I really want to try the curry recipe, as so far I've really enjoyed all the Rachael Ray recipes I've made.

Mushrooms are easy to incorporate into so many meals - we throw them into stir fries, add them to omelets, chuck them on top of salads. But the for nights you feel like taking that extra step . . . serve your friends and family this Mushroom Risotto. It wont' disappoint! Baked Mushroom Linguine also makes a delicious vegetarian dinner, and you can't beat the health benefits of
Smothered Mushrooms and Kale - full of nutrients, and tasty too.

I noticed this recipe for King Pao Beef includes an option for baby bok choi, and it looks absolutely delicious.

And I know I've shared this before, but I really do recommend you try throwing your broccoli into a pasta dish. My kids adore Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli and always ask for seconds. I am hoping to try Ina Garten's Broccoli with Bow Ties for one of our week night meals in February.

Enjoy your week and your produce - and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment