Friday, January 22, 2010

Harvest Box for January 22, 2010

Take a peek inside this week's Harvest Box from Life Organic! Looks delicious.


This recipe for Beef and Mango Wraps arrived in my inbox this week and I was delighted when a mango arrived in my harvest box this week. It's like it was meant to be, so I'll definitely be trying out these healthy, tasty wraps this week. Like incorporating your mangos into a main meal like I do? Try this Chipotle-Mango BBQ Chicken dish - better if you can do it outside on the barbecue (which I won't, because I am too much of a wimp in the cold Ottawa winter) but still tastes lovely cooked inside. And the mango citrus salsa in this BBQ Pork Tenderloin with Mango Citrus Salsa adds a perfectly sweet flavour to the pork tenderloin.

My kids are big fans of peanut butter or cream cheese stuffed in the "ravine" of celery, but if you're keen to add celery as a side dish to one of your main meals, why not make Braised Celery,
Celery and Portabello Salad, or Romaine, Celery and Parmesan Salad? And for those cold winter nights, try serving up a steaming bowl of Creamy Celery Soup with some fresh bread.

I was thrilled when I saw a big giant bag of parsnips this week, because that means I can make more Cajun Parsnip Fries for everyone! I love serving it as side dish to fish or chicken, and it makes a healthy alternative to potato fries. And although I haven't personally tried these recipes, I think Mashed Parsnips and Potatoes and Caramelized Roasted Parsnips look promising. And even though I can't wrap my head around the idea of Parsnip Muffins - please give me some feedback if you decide to try them!! Although I suspect they would taste a bit like carrot muffins . . .

That broccolette in your harvest box is a member of the cruciferous family that looks sort of like miniature broccoli. It is a cross between broccoli and kale. The stalks are sweet and can be eaten without peeling. Broccolette is stored in the crisper in your fridge just like broccoli. It can be combined in many dishes where you normally use broccoli, and I came across this recipe for
Broccolette with Olives and Capers which looks fantastic. And why not try a Salmon and Broccolette Superfood Salad or Sweet Chili Chicken with Broccolette and Noodles as main dishes?

I am thinking about trying these Squash and Zucchini Cakes this week - I may be able to pass these off as "fun" and have my kids actually eat them. As I've mentioned here before, they are huge fans of my Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins and I may give this Zucchini Bread recipe a spin this week. And if you're adventurous, throw your zucchini into a Zucchini Ribbon Pasta and really wow your guests.

Have a great week, and be sure to check in next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment