Friday, January 15, 2010

Harvest Box for January 15, 2010

Doesn't the arrival of your Harvest Box just brighten up a cold and chilly day for you??? Thinking of all that potential deliciousness . . .


This week inside your Harvest Box you'll find a head of cauliflower. Cauliflower is low in fat, high in dietary fiber, folate, water and vitamin C, possessing a very high nutritional density.
Cauliflower can be roasted, boiled, fried, steamed or eaten raw. When cooking, the outer leaves and thick stalks are removed, leaving only the florets.

Cauliflower is absolutely delicious in a curry - if you get a chance, why not try this Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry - nutritious and filling at the same time for a meatless dish. This Cauliflower Casserole also looks tasty and I think this Cauliflower Lentil Rice Bake would make a great weeknight meal. Like traditional comfort food, only healthier! I'm trying to find more ways to get my three kids to eat spinach. It's so darn good for them but they are just not big salad-lovers. I'm thinking serving this Spinach Bacon Quiche to them would certainly change their minds. We are (embarrassingly) big bacon fans so I'm hoping this quiche will have a little "zing" to it.

(Any time a recipe calls for frozen spinach, you can almost always replace it with fresh. I do it on a regular basis and it always tastes great!)

I like the sound of this Beef and Spinach Lasagna - the ingredients (and the photo) lead me to believe it is pretty yummy. I like the combo of beef and spinach together, as again, I think I can convince my kids to eat it. For the veg lovers out there, why not try a traditional Spinach Lasagna with white sauce? Not too difficult to make and a definite crowd pleaser or Sunday night favourite.

Take your bright, sunny yellow lemon and put it to good use in a scrumptious dish of Lemon Chicken. I've made lots of lemon chicken in my time, but this recipe I have yet to try and am anxious to do so. It looks fantastic. Got a hankering for pasta?? Get moving on this Peppered Lemon Chicken Pasta and show your family and friends how simple can taste fantastic.

Although there are not green beans in the box this week, I did come across a new food blog with interesting recipes on it that I wanted to share. I pulled this Roasted Shrimp with Green Beans from there and am hoping to get a chance to make it soon. Our family adores shrimp and with the added nutrition in the green beans, I don't think you can go wrong.

For more recipes on a specific food, check out our labels on the right hand column of this blog - click on each link to be rerouted to recipes for each food item.

Have a great week and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment