Monday, November 23, 2009

Harvest Box for November 20, 2009

Unfortunately my camera battery died on me and I didn't get a shot of my Harvest Box this week. So close your eyes and try to imagine the goodness! This week's box contains lemons, Macintosh apples, avocado, acorn squash, carrots, Jerusalem artichokes, baby bok choy, salad greens, beets, vine tomatoes and garlic.

If you're like me, you may have been confused about what to do with your Jerusalem artichokes. A Jerusalem artichoke is a North American sunflower with an edible, lumpy, brown-skinned tuber that looks somewhat like a ginger root. Leave it to chef Jamie Oliver to come up with this delicious and simple recipe for sauteed Jerusalem artichokes. Or perhaps you might like to check out this Jerusalem artichoke and potato soup. If you fancy salads, dive into a bowl of this Jerusalem artichoke and arugula salad with parmesan.

Grab your baby bok choy and get ready to enjoy a healthy and delicious treat. Braised baby bok choy is absolutely divine, and you can visit more braised baby bok choy from cooking expert Martha Stewart.

Check out these beet recipes from Foodland Ontario. I also came across this recipe for roasted beet salad with bacon, and beets, potatoes and mint. I think it's important to think outside the box when preparing beets . . .

Instead of my using my acorn squash in a soup this week, I'm hoping to try out this baked chicken and acorn squash recipe - it looks tasty and different. And have a look at this acorn squash stuffed with apples and greens - mouth watering!!

And lastly, I stumbled upon this fabulous resource for lemon recipes this weekend and it's full of great ideas - be sure to have a look!

Enjoy this week's Harvest Box and be sure to check in next week for more . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment