Sunday, March 28, 2010

Organic Harvest Box, March 26, 2010

Here is our Life Organic Harvest Box for the week . . .

Strawberries! Although not locally grown in Ottawa at this time of year, it is always delightful to see a box of bright red strawberries in our harvest box. I came across a few interesting strawberry recipes you might want to try this week. Although I have not tried anything quite like this before, I am anxious to give this Strawberry, Pistachio, and Goat Cheese Pizza a go - I mean, really, how fantastic does that sound? If you're feeling ready to get in touch with the real chef within, serve up these Gorgonzol0-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Strawberry Gastrique and you will undoubtedly impress those you serve it to. I also like the mix of simple flavours in this Strawberry-Avocado Salsa - lovely served over chicken or pork tenderloin.

While on the look out for interesting recipes that use green onions, I stumbled upon a great new blog with lots of tasty recipes - Farmgirl Fare. I'll admit that it was the pictures that really sold me - check out this Sour Cream and Onion Dip and these Savory Cheese and Scallion Scones. Yeah, I know, impossible to resist. I also found this Three Onion and Three Cheese Pizza, but I wasn't able to actually find the green onions in it. Oh well - it looks divine and she includes a super recipe for home-made pizza dough. I'll definitely be trying it out. And lastly, if you've got a hankering to toss those green onions into a quiche, try this Shrimp, Shiitake Mushroom, and Green Onion Quiche for a rich and flavourful weeknight meal.

Farmgirl also shares a classic recipe for Super Spinach Soup, which is a great place to start with this week's fresh spinach. Or why not try this easy and very healthy Spinach Pilaf as a side dish? I also see this Swiss Chard and Artichoke White Pizza (sub swiss chard for spinach) in my future . . . I just love being able to incorporate veggies of all types into pizzas because I can usually get the kids to gobble them up.

My children are huge carrot lovers. They snack on carrot sticks at least twice a day, so I tend to get in the habit of not cooking with carrots and just serving them raw. My new goal is to try to make something once a week that incorporates carrots in a meal. And while I'm not convinced my husband and three kids will love this Hearty Lentil Soup with Carrots, Tomatoes and Smoked Sausage, I think I'm going to try it anyway! Perhaps these Carrot and Potato Latkes will be more there style.

What are your favourite carrot recipes? I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment and let us know!

1 comment:

  1. I found this great recipe on Martha's website for Velvety Carrot Soup.

    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/velvety-carrot-soup

    It is so delicious! I'm making it again tonight with my organic carrots and am excited to see if my 8 month old daughter likes it as much as her Dad and I do.

    ReplyDelete