Saturday, March 13, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for March 12

Sadly, there is no Organic Harvest Box photo this week - we were out for dinner celebrating my six year old's birthday, got home late and I totally started putting the produce away instead of taking a picture. If you're not a regular customer of Life Organic, you'll just have to trust me when I say it looks FANTASTIC!

I know that pears are often a regular part of the Harvest Box, and we usually just gobble them up instead of cooking them, because they are so sweet and delicious, but I wanted to share a few pear recipes with you. I urge you to give them a try, pears add a rich, wonderful flavour to any meal. I've shared this before, but this Fresh Pear and Curry Pasta is a family favourite of ours, and not at all difficult to make. I also have my eye on this Pear Stuffed Chicken with Walnut Rice as a lovely meal incorporating pears.

With this warmer, spring-like weather we're having, why not fire up your barbecue and whip up some Grilled Bartlett Pears - they are totally delicious! Bartlett Pear Muffins are a great choice for the bakers out there, and this Ham and Cheese Sandwich with Bartlett Pears is a fantastic new twist on ham and cheese sandwiches.

I came across some great green bean recipes this week, but I have to be totally honest with you. I am not really a fan of adding green beans to a "dish" of any sort. I really enjoy green beans just slightly cooked (still crunchy!) and sauteed with olive oil and salt and pepper. These Sesame Green Beans are delicious and so fast and easy to throw together. For the more adventurous green bean lovers, take a look at this Fassoulia - Green Beans with Ground Beef, Lemon, Green Bean and Celery Salad and Country Green Beans. Be sure to let me know if you give any of these recipes a try!

Kale is another food I prefer to be just cooked simply, like this recipe for Sauteed Kale - easy and delicious! I also like the looks of this vegan Red Kale Pasta as well as this Rustic Red Kale and White Bean Soup. And I'm hoping to try this Braised Kale with Pancetta this week - to break out of my comfort zone.

I absolutely adore fresh Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes! They're so colourful and tasty. I often toss cherry tomatoes in pasta . . . like in this Penne with Fresh Ricotta and Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes or Egg Noodles with Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes. They are also great chopped up as a salad - just toss with some olive oil, goat cheese, herbs and salt and pepper. I also found this
Heirloom Cherry Tomato, Fennel and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing - definitely more elaborate but well worth the effort!

Enjoy your week and be sure to check in next time . . .






No comments:

Post a Comment