Saturday, March 20, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for March 19

This week's Organic Harvest Box is full of beautiful rich yellow and green colours!! Take a peek inside:


Wondering what a Kabocha Squash is? I found some great info on Kabocha Squash for you to take a look at. Kabocha Squash is healthy, delicious, and can be stored safely for a long time. Like so many from the squash family, Kabocha Squash is tastiest when simply roasted. Oven Roasted Kabocha Squash is both easy to make and yummy, and this Sweet and Spicy Roasted Kabocha Squash looks like a great choice for those taste buds with a little more flare! I also found this Simmered Kabocha Squash recipe and think it's another great idea for a side dish.

Some weeks when I receive a mango in my harvest box, I really hack it up and do a poor job of peeling it. It ends up being a jumbled mess and is difficult to cut and slice. Thankfully I stumbled upon a great technique for how to peel and eat a mango - it's really helpful. It's also worthwhile to read up on a brief history of the mango and the multiple health benefits of mangoes. After much searching I found a few new mango recipes this week that definitely caught my eye. I love the sound of these Ginger Mango Shrimp Kebobs, especially since we have fired up our barbecue a few times in the past couple weeks. This Mango Baked Squash also looks great, as well as this Indian-inspired Mango Curry. And without a doubt I'm going to try these Blackened Tuna Steaks With Mango Salsa - it got a fabulous rating on All Recipes.com and that is usually good news for those cooking.

I've mentioned before how good these Cajun Parsnip Fries are - they can't be beat and kids love them too! Well, these Butter Fried Parsnips might give my fries a run for their money. And I'm thinking I might be able to get my three kids to eat these Parsnip Patties - it's not hard to trick them into eating anything in "patty" form. I guess if it walks like a duck . . .
And a last couple of recipes to consider for your parsnips - a scrumptious Roasted Parsnip and Cauliflower Soup and a savory and tasty Roasted Vegetable Medley. Take your pick - you can't go wrong.

This week's spinach comes from the province of Quebec and looks so fresh and tasty. Spinach is a fantastic way to pack a meal full of nutrients, and it you don't believe me, take a look at all these health benefits of spinach. It was the appetizing photo that turned me on to this recipe for Edamame Beans, Chickpeas, Shiitake Mushrooms and Spinach - it looks truly first-class. Another barbecue-friendly meal is these Spinach Burgers with Mushroom Sauce, which you could serve with a side of Spinach, Avocado, and Mango Salad (which uses three items from your harvest box all in one meal!). I also found this Quinoa Salad with Dried Apricots & Baby Spinach and thought it would make a terrific lunch or light evening meal.

Until next week . . . happy munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment