Friday, February 5, 2010

Harvest Box for February 5, 2010

Let's take a quick look at this week's Harvest Box . . .

I have been trying to think "outside the box" when it comes to avocados lately - I've tried a number of different recipes and while I like many of them, our family still continues to fall back on our all time favourite - Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa. Fast, easy, and so tangy and tasty! And here is yet another Best-Ever Guacamole recipe - give it a try and see for yourself. I have not tried this one yet, but Whole Foods never lets us down, so I am confident the recipe is chip-worthy. And if you're really feeling adventurous with your avocado, why not give this Shrimp and Avocado Omelet a try for a light weeknight meal or weekend brunch?

I am hoping to try this Black Cod with Quinoa and Kiwi Salsa this week but I am not in any way convinced that the kids will eat it. But it is something different for kiwi, and for the most part the kids like seafood. Mostly they like their kiwi cut up, or just eaten with a spoon. I like the simplicity in this Tropical Fruit Cup and the "fun factor" of Rachael Ray's Stacked Fruit Snacks. Also good? Sliced kiwi in a chocolate fondue - heavenly and nice to serve to a loved one on Valentine's Day.

I don't think we've had any squash since Christmas, so if you're wondering what do with this week's acorn squash, why not serve up simple but tasty Roasted Acorn Squash with Rosemary.
For a full meal, take a look at these Pork Chops With Maple Apple Acorn Squash. I also like this Acorn Squash with Cranberry Apple Quinoa recipe.

I really like cream of cauliflower soup and I made one last week using this Cream of Broccoli Soup recipe, just substituting the broccoli for cauliflower. It was fantastic, and this week I'm hoping to try this Cauliflower and Roasted Garlic Soup. For a fun and healthy dip for Superbowl Sunday, make this Spicy Cheddar-Jack Cauliflower Dip and serve it to your football-loving friends and family. Or just anyone who wants a tasty snack! For a nice side dish, give this Cauliflower and Edamame Salad a whirl.

And, last but not least, I have found a handful of fennel recipes to share with you. I am no expert when it comes to fennel and would love to get some tips or recipes from fennel-lovers out there. I loved the photo with this Skillet-Braised Fennel and that's probably going to be enough to get me to try it out. Try incorporating your beets in this Roasted Beet and Fennel Salad. Or, serve up Braised Chicken With Fennel and Apples and give your family a real treat!

Until next week . . . keep enjoying that produce!!

No comments:

Post a Comment