Saturday, February 27, 2010

Harvest Box for February 26, 2010

What a colourful Harvest box this week - take a look inside . . .

Did you notice this week's lemons look slightly more orange than regular lemons? They are Meyer lemons, a fruit thought to be a cross between Eureka or Lisbon lemons and a mandarin orange. Meyer lemons are much sweeter than regular lemons, and they make great additions to salads and other dishes because they lack the sour tartness of other lemons. For more fantastic info on Meyer lemons, be sure to check out All About Meyer Lemons. I did manage to scour up a good collection of recipes to try with your Meyer Lemons . . .

This Fennel Salad with Meyer Lemon looks light and tasty, and this Meyer Lemon Marmalade would be a delightful topping to any scone or bagel. For those with a sweet tooth, why not try a Meyer Lemon Cake with Lavender Cream or Martha's very own Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake? I also found this Meyer Lemon Pudding, which is mostly raw and vegan.

Every time I see a butternut squash I can't wait to start peeling it and cutting it up for soup. There is something about the flavour of butternut squash that truly lends it self to delicious soups. Our family favourite has always been this Apple and Butternut Squash Soup but I'm hoping to try out this Butternut Squash Soup this week. After stumbling upon this Butternut Squash and Macaroni Casserole recipe I think I will test it out and see if I can get the kids to eat it - looks pretty tasty.

Not totally sure what to do with your collard greens? One of the simplest ways in which to enjoy the full flavour of collard greens is to simply sautee them - this recipe for Sauteed Collard Greens is a great place to start. I hear that this Tasty Collard Greens recipe is fabulous - just not sure I am sure yet how I feel about a smoked turkey drumstick being thrown in the recipe! And for the adventurous cook with a lot of time to spare, check out these phenomenal Shredded Mediterranean Carrots Wrapped in Collard Greens - so amazingly healthy and delicious too.

So, get to eating that Harvest Box and be sure to check in with us again next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment