Saturday, November 27, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for November 26, 2010

Another Friday, another beautiful Organic Harvest Box arrives on my doorstep!  Check it out:


This week, I felt it was time to revisit the avocado. I love when I see the round, bumpy, greenish-dark skin of an avocado peeking out from inside my Harvest Box.  I do, however, seem to get in a rut and use my avocados for the same things over and over again.  Our family loves avocado chopped on top of a green salad, or sliced thinly in a cheese and tomato sandwich.  To help me broaden my avocado taste buds, I rounded up a variety of different salad recipes this week.  What about a Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Radishes and Cucumbers? A couple other light and easy ones are this Cucumber and Avocado Salad and Mango Salad with Black Beans, Avocado and Mint. Another option with fruit included is this Avocado Mandarine Salad.  If you're interested in trying some protein with your avocado, check out this Grilled Chicken with Avocado Citrus Sauce or this Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa.

Looking to move beyond that plate of celery sticks and see what more those green, tall stalks have to offer?  Celery is most definitely an easy, healthy, low glycemic snack.  Munching on a snack of  Celery with Peanut Butter is a perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up.  But what about a Green Apple, Celery, and Walnut Salad or a Bulgar, Celery, Nectarine Salad as healthy lunch or snack options?  Or serve up a delicious dinner of  Stir Fried Turkey with Celery and Snow Peas and you will see how easy it is to include celery in a meal.  Celery is also fantastic in soups, and two delightful choices are a Raw Creamy Celery Soup or this Chunky Celery Soup.

Although I've written about kale a great deal in the past few months, I still seem to be finding new and interesting recipes on a regular basis.  When I'm short on time, I really love this easy recipe for Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Onion.  It's an easy and quick side dish that is completely healthy.  Around here we love to snack on these Kale Chips that I posted last spring.  This week I came across another recipe for Baked Kale (Chips) and they are also delicious (very similar to the other recipe).  You can also toss your kale into a regular meal, like in this Red Kale and Cheese Omelet, or this luscious Autumn Harvest Soup with Butternut Squash, Kale, and Farro or Brown Rice.  And why not try a Raw Kale Salad for a light meal one evening?  I bet you won't be disappointed!

Until next week, enjoy that organic produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment