Friday, November 19, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for November 19, 2010

Here is a colourful and bright organic Harvest Box for a cold Fall day in November:


Kale - a form of cabbage - is considered to be a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties.  It is also has anti-inflammatory properties.  Is is high in beta carotene, Vitamin K, Vitamin C and calcium. And if all that's not enough to sell you on this leafy veggie, how about the fact that it is believed to be full of anti-cancer chemicals as well?  That's what I thought.  Now go grab that head of kale and get busy cooking!

Kale is lovely in salads, and a delicious one to try is this Kale Salad with Blood Orange and Lemon.  It is also a perfect vegetable to serve cooked, like in this Pasta with Black Kale, Carmelized Onions and Parsnip or Polenta with White Beans and Black Kale. And it is also pretty fantastic in soups, and I recommend trying this delightful Butternut Squash, White Beans and Black Kale Soup or a rich Bacon, Tomato, and Kale Soup.

Finished cooking all that kale?  Then grab that head of cauliflower and serve up a piping hot bowl of Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup. And while we're talking roasted cauliflower, why not try this Oven-Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic, Olive Oil, and Lemon from the culinary expert himself, Emeril Lagasse?  I also like to cook cauliflower with a little Indian flavour, and I came across a few interesting recipes this week.  I love the look of this Cauliflower Sabzi, as well as this simple Curried Cauliflower. And although I had to google "Panch Phoran" because I didn't know what it was (and I eat a lot of Indian food), I'm convinced I'm going to make this Cauliflower Dal with Panch Phoran this week if I get a chance.  A final dish I located on my search was this Pasta with Spicy Cauliflower Sauce- perfect for a light weeknight meal.

Green peppers - versatile and easy to cook in just about anything. Throw them on top of your favourite dough and make yourself a Green Pepper Pizza. Got some chicken lying around?  Toss your peppers into this Shredded Chicken with Green Pepper. Prefer steak?  No problem if you're ready to whip up a Green Pepper Steak.  Other yummy dishes include Green Pepper Masala and Green Pepper Chili - both easy but extremely tasty. And be sure to check out this Green Pepper and Tomato Salad from Rachael Ray as it will leave you coming back for more.

Until next week . . . enjoy your organic cooking!

 





 



No comments:

Post a Comment