Saturday, October 2, 2010

Organic Harvest Box for October 1, 2010

Another beautiful Fall organic Harvest Box this week! Full of delicious goodness . . .


Earlier this week Tasha passed on some great recipes for your mustard greens, so be sure to check them out.

And what about that gorgeous head of cabbage? For something with a little flare, why not try this Spiced Red Cabbage? Cabbage lends itself beautifully to salads and slaws, and both this Red Cabbage Salad and Crispy Red Cabbage Salad are definite winners. I also like this Red Cabbage Tomato Slaw. A chilly fall night begs for Red Cabbage Soup, especially nice this time of year. And this Red Cabbage, Green Bean, and Pasta Salad with Yogurt Dressing offers up something a little different. Are you a fan of Pickled Cabbage? Try this recipe out and let us know what you think of it!

Let's talk leeks! I've grown more and more fond of leeks over the past few years, as I have branched out and tried new and tasty recipes. Leeks, part of the onion family, have a mild onion taste but are less bitter than scallions. The part of the leeks that are edible are the bundle of leaf sheaths known as the stem or stalk. After they are cleaned (very carefully!) they can be chopped and added to a variety of recipes.

For example, who could resist this Leek, Ricotta and Lemon Flatbread? Or a Leek and Thyme Tart? Both of these would be perfect for lunch or alongside a hearty soup or stew at dinner. I have tried Roasted Leeks a few times, and they were delicious. And, I found this dish with Fried Leeks with Sweet and Sour Red Pepper and thought it looked quite interesting. Also on my radar was this Leek Pasta - another I have not tried but am interested in tasting.

Leeks are fabulous in soups . . . especially something like this Summer Squash and Leek Puree. But if you're a regular reader of mine, you'll know my family's personal favourite is Potato Leek Soup not the healthiest option, but so rich and delicious a small bowl is like a little taste of heaven! I haven't served it to anyone who didn't fall in love with it - and I make it often.

Moving on to cauliflower. I posted last winter about my success with Simple Roasted Cauliflower, and we still choose that recipe most of the time. Summer picnics and barbecues are a great time to try out this Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad - it packs well and tastes delicious a few hours later. I think these Cauliflower Pakoras with Cilantro Mint Sauce would be a big hit in my house, and I'm also anxious to try Garlicky Braised Cauliflower with Capers. Another healthy choice is this Spring Frittata with Cauliflower and Green Beans. And for those conscious of their weight or trying to cut back on carbs, dishes like these Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower and Green Onion Mash are wonderful alternatives to a heavier, potato-based side dish. And, yes, they really taste amazing!

Enjoy your week . . . and happy tasting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there lady, I've missed the Crafty Mom blog & I think it must be fate that when I came to check on it, I followed the link for the first time to find this new venture - and here you have all these recipes for leeks, which I just happened to have extras after making roasted butternut squash & leek soup :) I'm going to have to try one of these recipes - thanks for the inspiration! I hope you and all your things are having a wonderful autumn, take care dear!

    ReplyDelete