Friday, April 1, 2011

Thursday, March 31st: Meal planning and April Fools Day

by Brie

You would not believe how excited I was to get this week's box. With no box last week I was forced to confront exactly how dependent I have become on it for my meal planning. I was at a bit of a loss as to what to make for dinners last week!



I had visions of baking as soon as I opened the box. The apples, which are perfect for eating whole, using in a Waldorf salad or adding to a grilled cheese sandwich, made me want to bake an apple pie. I am tempted to hide the blueberries from the kids, who will want to sit down and eat the whole container immediately, so that I can try this blueberry tart. When I saw the avocado I knew I wanted to make this chocolate avocado cake/ cupcake recipe. I have heard avocados make for a great cake but I haven't tried it yet.


Carrots are such a great staple to use in dishes. The add flavour and crunch to soups, salads and casseroles. Not to mention anchoring carrot cake. Yum. This week I will be using my carrots to make some carrot fritters. I am excited to try these. The recipe calls for them to be fried but they could probably be baked too.


The rainbow chard pie I made last month was a great success and I would highly recommend it. I will either make it again this week or try out one of these new recipes I found. I like the look of the rainbow chard salad and risotto with chard.


Broccoli is so perfect eaten with butter or an easy cheese sauce. But this week I am going to use it to make a broccoli quiche. I love the idea of trying a broccoli pizza. Maybe next time!


The tomatoes this week would be great roasted in the oven with some sea salt and then tossed with pasta and feta. Or even used in homemade salsa. However, I am a huge fan of tomato soup and will probably use the lovely cocktail tomatoes in the box to cook up some homemade tomato soup. The only problem is deciding with recipe to choose! Roasted tomato soup with garlic? Chilled tarragon roasted tomato soup? Gazpacho?


The best item in the box this week had to be the pineapple. I love pineapple and I'm happy to eat it cut into pieces, on my pizza or added to a stirfry. It would also be great in fresh pineapple salsa, sweet potato pudding or pan fried rings.And perfect for April Fools Day are these pineapple fish sticks!


This is what's on my menu plan this week. What are you cooking?


Brie loves eating food and is learning to love cooking food. She also blogs about motherhood at Capital Mom and about Ottawa with kids at Kids in the Capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment