Sunday, December 6, 2009

Harvest Box for December 4, 2009

Here's a look at this week's Harvest Box from Life Organic!

Near the top left corner of the box is a big bag of French Shallots. Shallots, which look very much like onions, will keep for a long time if stored in a cool place away from humidity and light. To prepare a shallot, you cut off both ends and then remove the peel (just like an onion). You may notice that unlike it's onion cousin, shallots will not bring you to tears when chopping. Shallots are excellent in soups or thrown in a quiche or omelet, and are delicious when paired with bacon bits. They can also stand in for leeks in many recipes.

I found this absolutely fabulous recipe for French Shallot Soup that I simply must try. It looks relatively easy to make and is stunning in the photograph. I can pretty much guarantee my kids won't eat it, but hey, you only live once and I feel it's important to eat soup this good before I die.
Another great looking recipe that uses shallots is this Sauteed Shrimp with Garlic Toast - simple but flavourful.

I plan on using some of my delicious green spinach in my signature Spinach Salad with Spicy Shrimp and Mango. My husband loves it and it's a nice healthy and light alternative to all the heavy meals we eat this time of year. A couple other alternatives for your spinach are this Sauteed Spinach with Crisp Pancetta or Spinach Dill Pie.

Green beans are a healthy and easy side dish that go well with just about any main meal you are serving. I like them because no matter which way you prepare them, they are fast and simple. If you're a fan of gorgonzola or other strong cheeses, give this Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Gorgonzola a whirl. This Green Bean, Corn and Tomato Salad is also a quick and delicious choice.

We are huge avocado fans at my house and I know I've posted lots of great avocado recipes for you in the past. Being a Nova Scotia native and a real lobster lover - and knowing that lobster season is in December - I would love to get my hands on some of this fantastic red seafood so I could try this Avocado and Lobster Salad. If not, I'll have to suck it up and deal with the not-as-exciting Avocado Shrimp Salad. I also found this Mexican Chicken And Tomatillo Stew and think it looks like a fabulous warm meal to serve over the holidays.

And, last but definitely not least, I plan to use some of my delicious carrots and zucchini in this Quick Chicken Stew - a definite crowd pleaser and family favourite.

Enjoy your week and be sure to try some of these tasty recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment